Wednesday 27 June 2012

New Comic Day June 27th 2012 Overview

Slightly more DC oriented this week, speaking of which, does anyone know if this Zero Month thing is them restarting again or if it's just going to be a selection of special zeroth issues? Let me know if you have any ideas.

Superman #10
Carrying on from the previous issue, "Anguish" isn't that interesting a character to be perfectly honest. Her powers are inexplicable, her body naturally allowing stuff to pass through it with out her control. Yet rain still hits her? Either way we see a little bit of what Supes is all about in this issue, that he has the ability to think and feel. Going beyond just being a super-powered wrecking ball.

We also gain a little more insight into the fact that Kal doesn't let on that he has a secret identity. A fact that I like, it builds on his intelligence. Lois and Jimmy are also built on quite nicely this issue. Jimmy wholeheartedly has faith in Superman and what he is. We also see Lois' ethical side. It's nice to know that she is a block-headed journalist who at least believes that a story should be true.

The art is good in this issue and overall it's not terrible.


Green Lantern: New Guardians #10
There is no denying that I am a fan of this comic. It's clearly for fan service still coming off of the success of Blackest Night, but honestly? Who the hell cares!

I'm a little anxious, it feels like there are some big sweeping changes going on in the Green Lantern world right now, and we have yet to see if they are for the better. Akrillo becoming the true 'Yellow Lantern' is a nice step forward, coming off of Sinestro's betrayl of his corps.

I'm a little worried about the direction they are taking the Blue Lantern Corps. though, it feels like they are going to do some serious harm to my favorite GL character (Saint Walker).

The story is, going strange places for me, but tied in with the fact that the art continues to be great? I still think that New Guardians is well worth picking up.

The Flash #10
This probably is the most difficult to like comic I got today. Even then it's not totally terrible. I just found the story for the most part to be quite boring. The Weather Wizard really doesn't feature as much as the cover tells us he will, even then he's not really a villain for this issue.

Maybe the comic is trying to be too fast paced? I don't know but nothing really seemed to happen. Worse still, Flash doesn't actually do what he sets out to do. He changes his mind randomly at the end.

The art is great in the issue, the scenes with Flash and the torrent of water are especially well drawn. I also especially like the cover of this issue.

Hopefully future issues will pick up better than this one though.



Justice League #10
I am truly in split minds about this issue. Which is never a good thing. Let me start with the art this time around. It's great, most of the time. In a couple of places I couldn't really tell exactly what I was supposed to be looking at. Especially towards the beginning.

The story is still interesting as a whole, a character who feels "betrayed" by the League on an almost religious scale. Graves has investigated many characters (not in the confines of the comic mind) to be able to find out as much as he can about them, weaknesses etc.

I will admit I liked the scene in which Cyborg claims "Batman trusts no one on this team." Superman's retort of "Batman trusts me." It just made my day. I have always been a Batman/Superman team-up fan. They are easily my two favorite heroes, especially if we are confining to DC.

Big problem with the comic this week though? I was immediately reminded of Cry for Justice with how lame the fight was! Prometheus flash-backs abound when each of our heroes is taken down in single panels.

The Shazam story continues to be great. With the incoming Shazam #0 I am curious to see if DC is starting from scratch again or simply going to begin a new volume. Regardless it continues to be a draw to the comic.

Amazing Spider-man #688
So here we have a prime example of how covers lie in modern comics. Of course we know that Spidey is not going to get munched on like that in the issue. Granted it's a cool cover and the art is pretty decent, but I remember the days when cover-artists didn't just mislead you.

This issue carries on almost directly off of Ends of the Earth, in a totally non-linear way. We open with Spidey fighting Lizard and the fight lasts the whole issue. Problem? None what-so-ever, the fight is intermingled with scenes from earlier in the day.

It is interesting that they are releasing a Lizard story this early to the movie. I understand it as a tie-in or promotional sales idea. People will pick up this comic after seeing the film. The thing I don't get though is why risk it when the Lizard in the comics is far more menacing and Lizard like than any of the images we have had released from the film?

Ah well, Spider-man continues to be cool and is still worth picking up!

Spider-men #2
Well I suppose if I was going to buy six comics today, one of them was bound to turn out badly. I gave Spider-men a break last issue because it was only starting out. I let it slide that the crossover didn't even begin until that last panel. Here? The cross-over is on, but there is no team up until the last panel again. I'm not even kidding. Nothing really happens.

The two Spideys fight for most of the issue. Miles annoys me because I still hate the Ultimate universe and this just fuels that. I don't like this kid being able to go toe-to-toe with my Spider-man, sorry. The kid is smaller, has fewer abilities it seems and has no common-sense.

Oh and having Peter call Miles' costume cooler? Black costume does not equal cooler. Oh, look at that it's written by Brian Michael Bendis, I wonder what else he works on. Oh Ultimate Spider-man?
Sorry my friend, but Peter is still cooler.

This is Marvel letting this guy just write his own personal fan-fiction in which his made up, lame version of Spider-man gets to meet the real one. In this fan-fiction this lame Spider-man suddenly is as good as/better than the real one. It's pretty lame writing to be honest. So far nothing has really happened. Who knows maybe we'll get lucky and Mysterio and Spider-man (the real one) will accidentally (on purpose) destroy the Ultimate universe? We can only hope...

2 comments:

  1. Just saw this RT from Linkara's Twitter. Totally following your site now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks glad to know you like it. =D

    ReplyDelete