Sunday 3 June 2012

Avengers vs X-Men #0

It is a little late in the day to star reviewing Avengers vs X-Men, especially one issue at a time. I am however going to begin my binge into comics with the still running Avengers vs X-Men event. I am going to review each issue one by one, I may even crack into one or two tie-ins though I rarely bother with them. A quick bit of background on myself first though.

 I used to be more of a DC than a Marvel, focusing almost entirely on Batman, Superman, Green Lantern etc. Then one day something awful happened, something I will never understand or comprehend. DC decided that all the history I knew and loved didn't happen anymore. Then, as any spurned lover, I found refuge in the arms of another.

Though that wasn't really straight away. Occasionally I would pick up the occasionally Marvel graphic novel/trade paper back. Civil War is one of my favorite story arcs of any comic company ever. Where I used to live in the UK did not have the greatest comic book shop. In fact it didn't have one, I had to travel to the next city to find one and that still wasn't the best. Extortionate prices to make sure I could keep up to date. So, I am largely out of the loop. I tried to stay in it as best I could, but from what I can gather I missed a lot. I only knew about Red Hulk through passing, and with out reading him assumed I'd hate his cheesy, paint by numbers soul. Now I get every one of his issues. I totally missed out on Fear Itself, but fully intend to get the collected edition and review that at some point. I tell you this because, as a fan of comics, it feel really weird taking the sizable break I took. When I got issue #0 of AvsX I also just so happened to get #1 - #4 as well. So I really entered the game pretty late on this one. I haven't been able to read comics for over a year because of a lot of reasons (which you know about if you kept up with me here or on twitter) such as moving country. So, my take on AvsX might be one that you don't expect. I know that my friends in the comic store here really disagree with me. My opinions might be 'old school' when it comes to some of these characters. Especially seeing as I have missed some of their development for well over a year. So I will try to keep up, otherwise please, do feel free to explain bit's to me if I get them totally wrong. Either way let's begin with Avengers vs X-Men #0. (I promise the intro for the next issue won't be this long).


And straight away I prove that I have been out of the loop longer than I thought. I had to wikipedia Hope Summers, and wow, I missed some big stuff. I won't really comment on what I haven't read, but by the sounds of it, there is quite the sh*t-storm surrounding her Scarlet and the mutants. Scarlet I do recognise but even then I quickly find out that there is stuff I haven't seen. The opening fight between M.O.D.O.K and Scarlet Witch (later joined by Ms. Marvel and Spider-woman) is actually pretty awesome. Scarlet doesn't seem as overpowered as she has done for me in the past, and M.O.D.O.K is treated with dignity and respect instead of just being for comic relief. Granted he's not treated as dangerous though. I have got to say, I keep saying M.O.D.O.K he only looks a little like the guy I know, so if it turns out this is a new one, feel free to let me know!


So after beating up M.O.D.O.K and Aim, Ms. Marvel and Spider-woman invite a reluctant remorseful Scarlet Witch back to the Avengers Mansion. I can only assume that this is all tied in to the event in which most of the Mutants were removed. Again that is one I missed, so I don't know how she acted through out that. Scarlet here however seems legitimately remorseful, whether this is because of what she did or the fact that she is shunned by her friends for it. I cannot be certain. Then again I could be completely wrong about all of this, did she do something else that was "really really bad" that I didn't hear about? Either way Ms. Marvel and Spider-woman both seem ok with her coming back. So after a little convincing she does.

Of course, this is short lived when Vision, who I will admit I have never liked, basically throws her out. Now at first I thought that this was because of the mutant events again, but when I looked it up it is apparently because of stuff that happened years ago to do with her manipulating him etc. Is it me or has their relationship been a waste of ink since the beginning? I swear they have never moved beyond this point and evolved. Also, the way Vision reacts is, well, douchey. On a side note, the Ms. Marvel I remember also had a temper on her and I'm surprised she doesn't give Vision a hard punch to the head. Also I had to get flat out told that the Avengers Mansion is no longer Tony's own, because I did think it was weird that Tony didn't just override Vision saying something along the lines of "my house my rules." Regardless, this scene is a bit of a pain, mostly because I dislike Vision, but also because it feels weird. I mean if Vision is really reacting like this because of stuff that happened that long ago - get over it! If it is because of something she did more recently, ok but then why do her friends not just tell him to go to hell? This scene just feels, weird, and (jumping ahead) considering that Scarlet I haven't seen really in the next 4 issues, feels pointless.

So after Ms. Marvel carries Scarlet Witch away crying we cut to Utopia where Hope is planning on running away and Cyclops tries to stop her. This is where it gets really hard, it's lucky I have ANY background in comics and the know how to research this because anyone just coming into comics, kids basing their knowledge on the cartoon or movies for example? They are going to be so lost! Utopia? This really is the first I've seen it, but sounds to me like Scott has gone in the opposite direction that Xavier ever wanted. Let's not get into that though sticking with the comic, it's worth remembering that I haven't read a lot in a while and this is the first time I have ever seen Hope. 

A lot of (and lucky for me) expository dialog to tell me that Hope is the mutant messiah. I have no idea what to think of this. Honestly, it sounds daft, and I really hope that this turns out to be a mistake. That she isn't some messiah and that Scott has to learn the hard way not to rely on prophecy. I will really get into why soon. So they argue a little bit about how she can look after her self (apparently raised by Cable in the future, lucky her) and she uses Cyclops' eye beams against him before flying away with a jet pack. 

So far so good, emphatic powers when it comes to mutants, wants to fly off to use her powers for good. Sounds like a good character oh wait;


Let's just let go of the jet pack mid flight, that's safe, that's what good guys do, randomly endanger people. Ok yeah the thing harmlessly hits a wall, but trust me, this is just a hint of what she is like! So there is a bank heist going on, the Serpent Society is up for a cameo! To be honest, M.O.D.O.K is treated better. So yeah it's a nicely done little fight sequence where Hope takes down them all. Except; she nearly beats them to death! Half a page is devoted to her headbutting Anaconda, which is treated brutally. Oh and if you didn't think this girl, the mutant messiah was psychotic already, she cuts off Bushmaster's arms! This is of course, with out knowing they were cybernetic! In fact, it's implied she would of killed them all if it wasn't for the fact that Cyclops shows up to stop her. 

This is issue #0 and already I am siding with the Avengers! That is saying something, because I personally have always sided with the X-Men, like many nerds I always felt alone at school and still often do. Especially now that I live in another country away from my family. The X-Men are meant to be the group I can relate to. Now they just seem militant and, well, plain evil. These just aren't the X-Men anymore to me. So let's hope they redeem themselves soon, or otherwise I'm going to be back Captain America's shield all the way to Cyclops' face! 

Though, it is well written, and although I dislike Vision, and the X-Men feel like the bad guys, the story did get me enthralled. Of course this is just a prologue issue, the story begins in #1 which we will review soon. The art is also amazing and the issue is worthy of reading for that alone. Avengers vs X-Men is shaping up to be one of the most fun events in comic history. Let's hope it continues that way.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment