Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Vampires of Venice

So let us discuss this over sexed episode of Doctor Who shall we? Yea, sex and Doctor Who. Nevermind eh? I mean nothing drastic to get worked up over. After all nothing actually happened! Try as I might I do not fully understand how that is perceived as overly sexual. I mean if anything the Doctor reacted perfectly and it teaches younger boys that when a girl acts like that, you don't necessarily have to accept. Let's get that teenage pregnancy rate down shall we?

Now, before this episode even aired, the trouble making media started to complain about the "scantily clad" female vampires and how this episode would be even more sexual. I have several major problems with this. The biggest being of course that most of the time they are completely covered. I mean completely covered, even their faces. After all sunlight kills them. So much for scantily clad. The most we really ever see is a couple of nearly downwards shots of Rosanna's corset. Still can't see much though.

Too be fair there was a lot of sexual innuendo though. This isn't a problem though is it, I mean either kids are going to get the joke and laugh, or laugh because it sounds funny, or laugh because the parents are perverts and laughing along with us. Though some of it did seem a too much. Mostly the "yours is bigger than mine," line. Granted that it made me laugh, just in retrospect was a little too much for the scene. I honestly expected this in the coming soon Richard Curtis episode though, so not too shocking. Also the amount of complaint I have seen about the scene between Rosanna and the Doctor. Yes it is a little bit flirty, but to say that the Doctor was out of character for making the quip "I'm a Time Lord you're a Fish, think of the children." That seems a little odd to me. Some have claimed that he was being spiciest. Something that the Doctor would never do. Exactly though, he never would, and he wasn't. He turns Rosanna down for an alliance not because of sex, or anything racial. It was because she was the bad guy and he is the good guy.

The plot itself was rather good, I did enjoy it. Some have complained about it not being as good as last weeks episode. They can't all be diamonds though, or written by Moffat. Though we might argue that the creator of Being Human may want to get off of the Vampire's thing. Overall the story was fun, and engaging. Though it did seem to comprise of different plots such as Twilight, Being Human and even Doctor Who. See, The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky. I would still suggest watching this episode. Just don't expect it to be as good as the others this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment