Thursday 14 June 2012

New Comic Day June 13 2012 Overview

So it occurs to me that I of course don't read everything that comes out. My list of reservations at my wonderful local comic book shop already sets me back quite a long way money wise. Though comics are my vice, and at least they don't give you cancer (or at least it hasn't proven to yet). I do however read so many that I may not be able to do detailed reviews of absolutely everything I read and that could mean I'm missing out on something some would like to hear about. So starting this week, each week on the day or day after, as soon as I've read them all (or most) I will post an Overview "review" post. I may still do more detailed reviews especially of the more concerning ones, but for now this will do. This week I got four comics.

Amazing Spider-man #687
This week marked the end of the "End of the World" story arc. Spidey's new suit may or may not come back in the future, which is a shame as it was quite cool. Doc Ock was still an cool villain and stayed in character all the way through. Something I find to be rare for villains some times. SPOILER Silver Sable "dies" at the end along with Rhino in a really, kinda creepy, way. Though it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't the last we see of either of them.

AVX VS #3
The first two issues of VS were actually quite good. Despite a fight or two going the wrong way in my opinion. Of course that is what this series is designed to do, polarize the fan base. On that front it does a good job, and with out going into the details of the main line, this tie in does exactly what it advertises. Nothing but action. For a lot of readers that will be a problem and for more, including myself, it gets worse when the action doesn't go the way you'd expect or want. Also this issue is a big culprit for the AR nonsense that Marvel has come up with. Normally I think it's quite nifty, I might go back over after reading an issue and look at it with my phone. Mostly because it doesn't always work instantly. So why the hell have half of this issue in Russian so that you have to use the AR. It really broke up the flow of the read. Not so good this issue.

Spider-men #1
The "Spider-man event of the century" features Peter Parker finally meeting Miles Morales. I say finally. I personally do not care. Not really. I care enough that I want to read it because I follow Peter. I however do not care about Ultimate comics, what I have seen of them I do not like. So really this cross over isn't that important to me, I just want to see if Marvel screw me a round and make out that this Miles is better than the real Spider-man, Peter. Who knows? Over all this issue does nothing but serve as an introductory issue, we only see Miles Spider-man in the last panel, so there is no real cross over or story line here.

Batman #10
First thing I noticed was that the "Night of the Owls" title was not on this issue. I know I said that I wouldn't get the tie ins but surely they aren't calling this over? This issue is, well pretty good, with only story and no real action. It does set up nicely for a conclusionary battle. Also the Fall of Wayne story is in the comic so luckily that's not another tie-in after all. The issue was good but I don't see why it didn't have "Night of the Owls" on the cover, the story still isn't finished.

Overall, a good week for my reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment