Monday 18 June 2012

Justice League #8 and #9

Continuing with my exploration of the New 52 from DC Comics, it was only natural that I take a look at their Justice League. Initial thoughts? Damn I should of started reading sooner. Seriously, this is not a good place to start.

Before I pause a moment to go and do research, I will admit it's strange but interesting to see that they are discriminatory of who joins the League. Not just letting any old person in, this was always an issue I felt needed mentioning, especially with regards to characters like Batman. After all if Batman had plans to take down the main members and his best freaking friends what would he feel about being associated with characters from all across the DCU?

Then I was hit with a curve ball. The reason they act like this, the issue implies it was the Martian Manhunter. Wait so DC made him into a villain? I hope that's just the poor interpretation thanks to this comic. I mean, hopefully it's all going to swing round to some gigantic misunderstanding on their parts.


Of course it concerns me that this could be one of the horrors that I had expected from a reboot. I know there are going to be people out there that love the idea of a villainous Martian Manhunter. I personally do not. I will now pause to research and see if I am proven wrong. 

ONE PAUSE LATER.

Apparently he is now a member of Stormwatch not the Justice League. No idea what the hell they'd be fighting him then. Last I checked Stormwatch weren't bad guys. Ah well who knows what the heck is going on there then.

 Regardless the issue isn't too bad, we see that Green Arrow wants to join the JL and they won't let him. Green Arrow still isn't that great of a hero, but he's cool enough that you do feel for him. Green Lantern and Batman have some good dialogue in this issue. Aquaman is a bit of a tool though, granted it's implied he has reasons, but I'm fond of those reasons being explored more than just acting like a douche.

Issue 9 has even more with better dialogue, great art and awesome fight scenes. Including what can only be described as biblical imagery for Superman and Batman. 


This issue isn't what I'd call much of a jumping in point either, but it certainly would work better than the others. We get a decent representation of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash. The action again is awesome, including Superman and Batman working their way through Arkham. It's a good issue.

Meanwhile an ongoing sub story has been Shazam! Personally I am a big time Captain Marvel fan. People have always claimed that Superman is too much of a boy scout. Well I raise you one Captain Marvel, who is now officially called Shazam of course. I guess if you're going to do one thing with the reboot, that isn't a terrible idea. Speaking of not terrible ideas. Billy Bastion is no longer incredibly annoying and unrealistic. 

Slingshotting him into the new century, Billy no longer acts the pretentious holier than though child, who couldn't do a single thing wrong. Instead he is a foster child, going from foster home to foster home, failing school after school. At first I was a little taken aback, but by issue 9 (my second issue) I fell in love with the character all over again. I don't know if Shazam (Capt. Marvel) will be the same way he was back in the day. I don't know if he will get his own comic line. I do know that Billy is now awesome! I dunno what it is about a kid kicking the crap out of rich, stuck up bullies, and then telling their rich, stuck up father to shove it. It just made him cool. Also what capped the scene off well was Billy's foster father telling him him that fighting is not the answer, and then immediately going to clearly beat up this rich guy for threatening Billy. (I may of forgotten to mention that the 30 - 40 something old did threaten the child.) Overall Shazam! might actually be the draw for these issues, and that's saying something. 

If you have room on your list. Justice League is a pretty good choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment